Dear friends in Christ,
I hope you’re all doing well heading into Thanksgiving! The church office will be closed on Thanksgiving and on Friday. As we head into the season of Advent this Sunday, there are a number of things going on in the life of the church:
12/7: Presentation on Managing the Stress of the Holidays
Janine SW has graciously offered to give a presentation on dealing with the stress of the holiday season on 12/7@7pm in the church social hall. I’ve attached a flyer, and here’s the link to the Facebook event: https://fb.me/e/1s3ytwf8l
This is a resource we’re offering for anyone in the area who might find it beneficial, so be sure to spread the word. Thank you Janine!
12/19: Christmas Pageant
Our annual Christmas Pageant is back! It will be held on Sunday, December 19th during the worship service. We are looking for volunteers of all ages to participate in various roles and also as readers and singers. We will not be having the traditional choir due to covid safety, but rather having small groups or soloists sing some of our favorite hymns (also available for sign up!). Rehearsal will be Saturday, 12/18 from 10am-12pm If you’d like to participate, please sign up here: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/70A0F48AAAF2FA7FC1-christmas or email Valerie B for more information.
Advent Wreath Craft
As a way to create some intergenerational fun, we have created an easy wreath making craft open to both kids and adults. Kits are available in the Social Hall. Please take one, and enjoy the quick craft and accompanying weekly prayers, good for all ages!
December Mission Projects
- Star Tree: Stars are available in the sanctuary. Through our Covenant to Care program, we have agreed to provide gifts to 60 children at Christmas in the Wellmore program in Waterbury. Ages for these children range from newborns to teenagers. Please pick a star, purchase the requested gift(s) (at a cost of no more than $35 per gift), and place the wrapped gift(s) with the star attached to the outside under the tree in the sanctuary (or the office) before December 16th at 10:00 am. You are more than welcome to choose more than one star! Stars for family members are grouped together and by color on the list.
- Out of 60 stars, we have about a dozen left. Thank you to everyone who has signed up for a star!
- Christmas Baskets: We are sponsoring three local families (the same families we sponsored for Thanksgiving) and providing them with a Christmas dinner! To help make this family’s holiday a little better, sign up to donate something (you are more than welcome to take more than one item) on the sheet on the bulletin board outside the kitchen. As with other sign-ups, if you can’t sign up in person, let Jeanine know and she will help you! We need to have all donations in by December 20th.
Advent and Christmas Worship Volunteers Needed
- Advent Wreath Lighting: Volunteers needed to light the Advent Wreath for 12/5 and 5pm and 11pm on Christmas Eve
- Christmas Eve Readers for 5pm and 11pm: I’m looking for readers for the scripture lessons on Christmas Eve. Let me know if you’re interested!
- Christmas Eve Ushers for 11pm: When I last checked with our Head Usher, Malcolm, he was looking for some volunteers for the 11pm Service. Let Malcolm or me know if you’re available!
I want to thank our Board of Stewardship for all their work on this year’s Pledge Campaign (and for the time they’ve yet to put in!) I also want to thank everyone who has made a pledge and for everyone who has volunteered or donated to our mission projects this past month. The contributions from all of us, whether time or treasure, is what makes everything work here at the church. Thank you.
The MCC staff and I wish you all a very happy and safe Thanksgiving tomorrow, and here’s Thanksgiving prayer from the Anglican Church of Canada:
“Creator of the fruitful earth, you made us stewards of all things. Give us grateful hearts for all your goodness, and steadfast wills to use your bounty well, that the whole human family, today and in generations to come, may with us give thanks for the riches of your creation. We ask this in the name of Jesus Christ the Lord Amen.”